Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Treat Me Like A Child, Please

Treat Me Like A Child, Please

When I was in elementary school I had a love / hate relationship with the summer months. I loved that school was out. I hated that I now couldn’t see my friends every day. I loved the warms sunshine, camping, bomb fires and s’mores. I hated the boredom, loneliness and being hot. To this day my family does not have air conditioning of any kind, not even a window unit. (My dad claims Lake Superior is the only air conditioner needed on the North Shore.) I know we drove my mother crazy hanging around the house all day. She started to sound like a broken record. (I realized that I now sound exactly the same.) But I also started thinking how wise it would be if I listened to the advice I was giving my children.

Go Outside and Play. When was the last time I actually “played” outside? I don’t mean weeding the garden, planting flower beds, feeding the animals or anything of the kind. I mean just play. I should just pick up a ball and throw it around. Or sit in the grass and build something out of sticks. Maybe even make a mud pie. (Now that might be fun!)

Take a nap. Yes Yes please may I take a nap. Preferably in a hammock or the sky chair in the back yard. I fought naps tooth and nail when I was young. My mom would have us “rest” right after our lunch of grilled cheese and Campbell’s soup. I could drag that meal on forever just to avoid giving in and taking a nap. Now I think I would actually pay for the chance at a nice afternoon nap.

Read a Book. In the 70’s (Or the days of the dinosaurs as my children like to refer to my childhood.) we obviously did not have laptops, Kindles, iPods or iPads. There was nothing better than curling up under a birch tree with a good book. This is one order I took from my mom on a regular basis. I loved to read. In the summer the bookmobile would make a stop in Schroeder and we would go in the front and browse all the way to the back finding two or three books to read. I can honestly say this was and still is one of my favorite pass times though I just don’t remember the last time someone actually told me to pick up a book and read. Now it’s a guilty pleasure. I know that I and several of my friends try to squeeze in a chapter or two between laundry loads.

It’s Bath Night! This was the worst! Sunday night was bath night in our house. We had to try to get in, out, dried and dressed before Wild Kingdom and the Wonderful World of Disney. Until I was six we had no running water or indoor plumbing so it wasn’t as easy as you might think. (Did I mention my mother is a saint?) I now truly enjoy an evening when I have time for a long bath. The hotter the better.
So I tell my children, you be the parent and I’ll be the child. I will act on each piece of advice with great enthusiasm! I think I would be the best behaved child ever as I played, read, napped and bathed my way right through the summer months. Peace, Sandy

It is a happy talent to know how to play.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
When summer is giving you lemons, make lemon pie, lemon bars or lemon cake!

Lemon Meringue Pie
Ingredients
• 1 cup white sugar
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 2 lemons, juiced and zested
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 4 egg yolks, beaten
• 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
• 4 egg whites
• 6 tablespoons white sugar
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
3. To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Lemon Bars

Ingredients
• CRUST
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup butter, softened
• 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
• TOPPING
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• confectioners' sugar
Directions
1. Combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar; pat into an 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs, flour, lemon juice, extract, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until frothy; pour over crust.
3. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Lemon Cake

Ingredients
• 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
• 1 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 4 eggs
• 3/4 cup water
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions
1. Combine gelatin mix and cake mix. Mix well.
2. Add next 4 ingredients - oil, eggs, water and lemon extract. Mix lightly.
3. Bake according to instructions on back of cake box.
4. To Make Frosting: Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice.
5. When cake is done, and while still hot, ice with frosting.

1 comment:

  1. My nephew is 14 and just got out of school last week. I asked him what he planned to do all summer, he replied..."I dunno, be bored I guess."
    I laughed, couldn't stop laughing in fact. What I'd give to be bored....oye.

    I'm making lemon bars for the 4th!! So yum.

    Stopping in from Woven By Words...have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete